Emile Pernot Frause des Bois Liqueur
Made from wild strawberries foraged right by the distillery and macerated with spirit and sugar, this liqueur picks up the varied sweet and tart aspects of the fruit, giving it a delightful acidity and delicacy of flavor that allow it to be used as an alternative either to the usual crème liqueurs or to a vermouth or other aromatized wine. Also delicious on the rocks with a splash of soda.
The firm of Emile Pernot, now more than a century old, has a direct lineage rooted in the origins of the famous liquor named “absinthe”, and you’ll discover that the story is rather surprising seeing the coincidences!
Indeed, the legend says that on Dr Ordinaire’s death, at the end of the 18th century, his precious original recipe for the elixir passed to two Swiss sisters from the Henriod family. They in turn sold the recipe to a Major Dubied from Couvet, who commercialized the product and, together with his son-in-law Henri-Louis Pernod, established the very first absinthe distillery in Pontarlier in 1805. Only 16 liters of absinthe were produced each day by the 2 alembics of this little distillery.
Dubied later parted ways with Pernod (who henceforth traded under the name Pernod Fils), and traded under the name “Dubied Pere et Fils”.
In 1872, Fritz Duval join Dubied and the distillery become “Dubied et Duval”.
In 1879, his son Henri-François Duval left the company and set up on his own under the name “H.F. Duval”. This firm was bought in 1889 by Eugene and Adolphe Parrot and renamed “Parrot Freres”.
In 1889, the young Emile-Ferdinand Pernot, a native of the Fougerolles region, where he had trained as a distiller, joined the Parrot brothers and together they established “Emile Pernot et Cie” located at 1 rue du Mont in Pontarlier.
The first record of the firm at the Trade Tribunal is dated from October 1st 1889.
The very first Extrait d’Absinthe label for “Emile Pernot” appeared on October 12th 1889.
Emile-Ferdinand also registered many other brands, in particular “Pernot Emile”.
His son, Emile-Joseph, a survivor of the trenches at Verdun, later registered the famous name “Emile Pernot”.
In 1908, Emile-Joseph Pernot, then 30 years old, joined the Cousin Jeune distillery, located at Le Frambourg in La Cluse et Mijoux, as a foreman and soon after became technical director.